Oversized Canoes
Transportation of Oversized Canoes

Oversize canoes can be transported on top of vehicles with the proper permits, lights, flags and securement. There is a permit system in place which is free of charge. A trailer designed to carry the oversize canoes should also be considered.


The link takes you the permit for oversize load or for more information, you can contact the Government of B.C. Ministry of Transport site. https://onroutebc.gov.bc.ca/#contactus

You may also call the permit centre to obtain the permit. The number of the permit centre is 1-800-559-9688

The permit for the oversize canoes is free of charge. The permit must be carried in the vehicle transporting the canoe to be presented to a Police officer or Peace officer if stopped and checked. The permit number is form CVSE1022.


The Motor Vehicle Act Regulations 

Section 19.02(3)(b)  a vehicle or combination of vehicle so loaded that the load extends more than 1 m beyond the front wheels thereof, or, if equipped with a front bumper, more than 1 m beyond the front bumper.

Section 91.02(3)(d) a vehicle or combination of vehicles the load which extends more than 185 cm (6 feet) beyond the back of the vehicle or combination of vehicles

However after 4 feet or 1.2 m a flag is required for day travel and a red light for night travel

The permit is free - VIOLATION for not having the permit however, is not!

Resources for Canoe Families
Tribal Journeys Handbook
Awaken the Canoes - Safety Training
Klahoose First Nation
All Nations Paddles Up
Informational Site
Indigenous Revival
Tla'amin Nation

The Tla'amin Nation (formerly known as the Sliammon First Nation) is located on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, just north of Powell River. 

Our people have inhabited this region for thousands of years living in harmony with the land. We look forward to welcoming you in the summer of 2021 for the Annual Tribal Journeys celebration.


Contact Us
Meet Our Team
Employment Opportunities
Tribal Journeys In the News